Friday, January 06, 2006

Squirrel debate

To feed or not to feed. The squirrel debate continues in the family. My son, Matthew, sent me this story from Russia. Black squirrels so hungry they killed a dog for food.
is this a reason to let them eat the bird food, or is
it a justification for discriminating against the
little blighters?

So should I allow the squirrels to eat the birds' food, or continue to discourage their presence in my garden? There is of course nothing to suggest that the grey squirrels in York are as desperate or aggressive as the black ones in Lazo.
I have recently stopped putting peanuts in the feeding hopper, filling it up with food scraps from the kitchen instead. Chopped apple, bran, cheese, breadcrumbs. I haven't seen a squirrel for at least a week. If they return I may have to try the method park keepers in Devon are using. Plastic snakes!

1 Comments:

At 9:49 am , Blogger Unknown said...

Awe-inspiring blogs, I love reading your articles.
kbmdc.org/squirrel-traps/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home