Saturday, December 24, 2005

History making

Whose year has this been? The generators of things good and evil in our time are people. Living people. People like us.

Bono and Geldoff raised our sights and challenged us to join them in the campaign to Make Poverty History. Twenty years after Band Aid, Live8 was staged this summer and we were confronted with how unequal a world we live in. I admit that I have incremented my thinking making small changes in the way I act as a result. I use the car less, take more care about the source of the food I eat, recycle my waste more diligently and ask for Fair Trade drinks when I'm out. It may be a small shift but I hope each step is set on a new direction. So eventually .....

At Christmas and New Year I usually feel that I am tying up one era and stepping into another. Christmas is about hope. Something happened in history. A child's birth both fulfilled and brought a promise of change. As a Christian it marks the arrival of the redeemer of the world. To quote the old testament prophet Isaiah, Unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given and the government will be upon his shoulders. His name shall be called, Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace. I look forward in faith and hope because of him. Strangely, as the year draws to a close, New Year's Eve is more about looking back than looking forwards; back over the events of the last twelve months.

Leaving the BBC has not marked a big change in direction for me. It has allowed me to stick to my course. I am still promoting and delivering digital storytelling, and in some ways I have more freedom to pursue that direction since setting up digistories early in the year.

Each year end I write a short summary of the key events for the many friends who are scattered around the country. It's a family newsletter. You can read it here.

Evil people have also contributed to the direction of both our lives and world. Their activities have been documented elsewhere, I don't need to repeat them again now. Natural disasters have left their mark too. In the chaos, sadness and destruction of these events, people display great courage and find the strength to carry out selfless acts of kindness.

Looking back I am thankful. Looking ahead, hopeful. I pray for the courage to live 2006 in faith. I may not make headlines, but I can inspire positive change and love more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home